Sunday, March 2, 2008

"Los Pobres" Richard Rodriguez

I became fully aware of what a remembering essay encompasses after reading Richard Rodriguez's, "Los Pobres." Not only was he able to capture all the main points the chapter described for this type of essay, but he also managed to discuss some very important themes in his autobiographical story.

I think it is very interesting how Rodriguez touches upon the thought of going into a job with pre-conceived notions. Like all things in life, many things are never like the expectations that we held them to be. Rodriguez was shocked about the diverse amount of personalities he encountered while working at the construction site. Never before did he think that construction workers could be highly educated or have artistic capabilities. The stereotype of what a construction worker comprised of was installed in his memory. His summer job helped to refresh his thinking.

Similarly, I can recall countless amount of times when I have approached a situation with high and unrealistic expectations. For example, it would be silly of me to think that the volleyball skills I had possessed in high school would be even better after not playing the sport for about a full year. Yet, I did. I had in my mind that I would be able to spike the ball harder than ever before to prove to the collegiate athletes that I was up for the challenge to join their team. My first time trying to spike the ball again, I missed it completely and landed practically into the net. I looked like the middle-school version of my volleyball skills. I was mortified. For some reason I automatically dreamed up this mix between my image with the olympian skills of Misty May or Kerry Walsh. Unfortunately, I ended up playing like I had no idea that the ball was supposed to go over the net.

While reality can be quite devestating, it is only when we are able to crash those expectations do we achieve a better understanding of ourselves and the world that surrounds us. Rodriguez conveyed similar feelings. He thought that by the end of the summer job he would know what it would feel like to be a real worker. Yet, after meeting people who actually needed the money to survive, he realized he would never be that worker. By describing to the reader what he was in comparison to the worker, one is able to grasp a solid Rodriguez-definition of the "real worker."

The real worker needed the money desperately. The real worker could only depend on that particular job hoping that its skills (or lack of) would be able to get him or her through the week for the next pay check. The real worker needed the job for shelter, bread, and for a life. Rodriguez would never be able to be a real worker because he had something to fall back to--his education. (179). Rodriguez had much more than what the Mexican immigrants could have and I believe he realized that through their abensce of words.

Rodriguez was able to convey to the reader a sense of humility and gratefulness that he seemed to lack before. Likewise, there are many experiences in our own lives where we think that we possess qualitites others may have. Or that we have more to look forward to than surviving tomorrow. Many of us have a profitable future. Although my pre-conceived notions of my sweet volleyball skills only failed, it did not matter. I was not planning on becoming the next Misty May or Kerry Walsh. I have other talents that I can pursue and hopefully find success in. Even if I do not, there are many unique and special opportunities that my college experience fosters.

A college education was something that Rodriguez and I have in common and that many people unfortunately cannot afford. I, too, may never know what the "real worker" is.

No comments: